Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Charities

I'm not doing my internship this summer. I will have free time. Glorious, rapturous, can read a book that's not a textbook kind of free time. So, naturally I want to fill it with something. 

I want to get involved with some sort of charity work. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called "Half the Sky," about the oppression and abuse of women worldwide. The journalists (Sheryl WuDunn and Nicholas Kristof) who created the documentary also have a book by the same name. I couldn't watch it and NOT want to do something. This documentary is definitely a call to action. 

I think what I want to do is create some cover art on some journals and donate them to a women's shelter. I've been brainstorming some other possible ideas, but I'm not sure. I know part of my goal list was to crochet something for charity - like chemo caps, but I don't know if crocheting is necessarily help these women (journals might not even be the way to go.) I think what I need to do is just make a list of ideas and start turning charity work into it's own priority goal list, because giving back is something I really want to do. 

What are some charities you like to get involved in? They don't have to be crafty related!

Here's a link to: Half the Sky Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!